New York Wine and Food Festival is creeping up quickly. We’ll be wining, dining, and wining a little more – especially in honor of those who can’t make it out during this delectable time. But, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to recreate some of the highly sought after dishes the chefs will be mixing at the many, many gatherings throughout the week. I’ve never tried this particular recipe before, but it had me at SEVEN layer dip. And since it will be served up at Jets + Chefs: The Ultimate Tailgate during NYWFF, what more of a reason do you need to make it at home?
7 Layer Dip with Fried Pasta Shell Scoops
Total Time: 20 minutes Makes 4 to 6 servings
1 box (12 oz.) RONZONI® Large Shells
6 links uncooked chorizo
3 cups black beans, cooked
½ medium white onion, diced
½ jalapeño, seeded
2 Tbsp cumin
Salt and pepper
2 cups sour cream
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated.
1 avocado, diced
1 cup pickled jalapeño
1 jar Spicy Tomato Jam
½ gallon oil
- Remove chorizo from casing around the meat; add to hot sauté pan and cook, mashing it so it becomes fully cooked and lightly browned. Using a food processor, pulse until chopped into smaller pieces.
- Black bean layer: sauté 2 cups of beans, onion, jalapeño and cumin for 3 minutes, then puree in food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Mix puree with remaining cup of whole black beans.
- Sour Cream Layer: Whisk together sour cream and lime juice. Set aside.
- Pasta shell scoops: cook pasta according to package directions. Strain and cool. In a large pot, heat oil to 375 degrees. Add pasta to the oil, moving the shells around to prevent them from sticking together. Cook until golden brown and remove pasta to a paper towel lined sheet tray.
- In a medium size bowl, layer the ingredients (from bottom to top) as follows: Black bean mixture, sour cream mixture, chorizo, cheddar cheese, avocado, pickled jalapeno and tomato jam.
- Serve at room temperature and share at your own discretion.