Makeup artist Justin St. Clair created Tika Sumpter’s Sundance glow for the premiere of Southside with You during the festival. In this role, Sumpter plays Michelle Obama in a romantic portrayal of the current President (Barack Obama) and First Lady’s first date in Chicago of 1989. “We wanted something fresh, but beautiful,” said St. Clair,”Very pretty, lightly sculpted and easy-to-wear. During the daytime, I don’t use a lot of shimmer because sunlight picks it up. So I went for a natural tones — brown, pink and bronze — that feels right for Sundance.”
- Start with the JUARA Tamarind Tea Hydrating Toner and Clove Flower & Turmeric Anti-Aging Serum for dewiness. “This look was all about having great skin— I wanted Tika to have a dewiness. But it’s cold outside, and the dry air pulls moisture from the skin, so you have to make sure it’s hydrated.”
- Apply the JUARA Radiance Vitality Oil to the tops of the cheekbones and follow with with a light foundation and a touch of contour for a natural glow.
- On the eyes, use the copper shade from the Votre Vu Palette Play Eye Shadow Quad in Copper.
- “I wanted soft winged liner, so I applied Votre Vu Le Joli Crayon in Chablis then smudged it out.”
- Finish the eyes with Votre Vu Eiffel Power mascara.
- For added definition of the brows, “I filled them in with Arch de Triumphe in Warm.”
- Layer the Votre Vu Dramatic Lip Liner in Sizzle with Votre Vu French Kiss Moisture Rich Lipstick in Babette for the lips.
“For this festival, I want my clients to look great both indoors in studio lighting and outdoors. So that’s partially about practicing restraint in applying makeup, but also about choosing the right skin care.”